Monday, February 29, 2016

In the past two weeks, we've taken two fields trips. The first field trip was to the Aran Islands. There are three islands, Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer. Of those three, the largest island is the Inishmore; its 9 feet long and 3 feet wide. Before we got there, everyone told us to dress warm because it is super rainy and cold there. Up until then, I thought Ireland was rainy and cold so I dressed a little warmer than usual, thinking I could handle it. I was so wrong. It was a very damp island, beyond beautiful, but the damp, cold, weather made it challenging to enjoy it to the fullest. We went to Dun Aengus as well as toured the town. The town had a lot of history and fun facts, but my heart was sold at Dun Aengus. Overlooking the ocean from a cliff so high has never been on my bucket list until I saw the edge of the cliff. I suddenly fell in love and went up to the edge instantly. Everything I was wearing was soaked. Completely drench because of the rainy weather. 
This previous week, we went to Dublin to explore the city. We first saw the Kilmainham Gaol. This is the jail where a firing squad shot fourteen leaders of the Easter Rising. This started the movement to Ireland's independence from England. Seeing the jail and the living conditions made our prison systems seem luxurious. I only spent an hour in the jail for a tour and I was cold and uncomfortable. Many people spent a good chunk of their lives there because of diminutive offenses. Seeing what they experienced really puts into perspective how poorly they really were treated. I also got to see the Christ Church, the Dublin Castle, and a lot of Dublin.

 Which is a beautiful city. On our way home, we stopped at the Trim castle. As the tour went on, I couldn’t believe all the small things they thought to do to make their lives easier. For example, the chimney isn’t straight up and down, it winds around when the rain falls into the chimney, it doesn’t put it out. Simple things like that I wouldn’t have ever thought to do. Life was much harder back then and they still thought of simple things to do to make their life a little easier. After these two field trips, I am beyond excited for our upcoming trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment