Wednesday, March 2, 2016

It didn’t take long for me to realize a few differences in the culture overseas in comparison to the culture in America. One of the first things I noticed was the welcoming arms that I have received from everyone. Whether it be in the little town of Spiddal or the big city of Dublin. Anyone you look to is more than willing to help you out or just give you a friendly smile. People aren’t hungry for your service. If they don’t have what you want, they will direct you to where you need to go to in order to get what you want. They also are beyond happy to make certain accommodations for you. Once in Spiddal, a group of us were eating pancakes and they ran out of pancake mix, so instead getting something else, they ran next door to get what they needed for the pancakes. The service is also different because they check on you once, maybe twice after they greet you. That’s all it takes here. People aren’t needy or demanding. Once you’ve been greeted, you have to ask for water if that’s your drink of choice. It isn’t the assumed drink if you don’t order one. There’s also a chance you will be charged for the water they bring out to you. Most of the restaurants, however, are not made for parties with more than four people. If you do have more than four people, the bill is put into one, automatically. No matter how big the party or how great the service, tipping is not a thing here. Tips are not are expected and not accepted unless there is a tip jar out.
                Not only is the restaurant service different, the fast food service is as well. You don’t get your burger from Super Mac’s (a better McDonald’s) in 1 minute like you do at McDonald’s. You wait a good 5-7 minutes for a burger and chips (fries). The food isn’t covered in grease and you are happy with what you paid for. The pop is a little rough getting used to. I usually stick to water, but the few times I have had pop, it had less sugar and tasted a little off. Finding a fast food restaurant takes a lot more effort than it does in America. They are findable and accessible, they just aren’t as prominent.
                The attire is so much more put together and cleaner than what you see in America. If you were to go out anytime of the day back home, you would find multiple people who looked like they, literally, just rolled out of bed. I, am one who is definitely guilty for that, more than I’d like to admit. But, being here, it just doesn’t happen. You can tell everyone puts their life together before they leave their house. I was worried that would be a challenge for me every day, but it has been a lot easier to put myself together before starting my day than I thought it would be.
                As well as having their life put together, many people don’t have big brick cellphones. Most everyone I have met has had a phone, some only connect to Wi-Fi and don’t have their own internet, but it’s usually on a smaller phone. I would compare it to an IPhone 4.

                Life is much simpler, happy-go-lucky, and not so on-the-go. I really plan on taking that back with me to America because I have enjoyed so much more in life, realizing there is more to our everyday, go, go, go lives. Life doesn’t need to be complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment