Sunday, March 27, 2016

While back at the States, I had my friend group. My friends that I would tell my life to, my friends I would occasionally get coffee with. Making friends seemed easy to me. As I made these friends, I would sometimes keep in contact with them but mostly, I would just talk to them when I would see them. Coming to Ireland was different because I was with a group of people I had never seen before. It’s crazy to think about because we all come from the same small college, some of us even in the same grade. Getting to know each other was quite simple and we all clicked very well. Of course, keeping in touch wasn’t a problem because we are all we have.

The group that I came with aren’t my only friends. The easiest way to get to know locals and meet new people is by enjoying the night life. Even if you don’t drink, go out. There are so many different types of people out and about. When you talk to people, they genuinely want to talk to you and get to know you. They don’t talk to you because they want something from or out of you, they talk to you because they like to have conversation. That’s the best part about being here.
Chances are, if you met someone in Galway or Spiddal, you will run into them again. In Spiddal, at one of the pubs we go eat at all the time, the bartender knows my usual and just double checks with me before he puts in my order. Even when you meet people outside of Galway or Spiddal, you will connect with them in ways you couldn’t imagine. While out in Galway one evening, I picked a girl out, who was wearing a Guns ‘N Roses t-shirt, to start a conversation with. As we got to talking, we opened up about our personal lives and had a lot more in common than one would expect.

I personally feel like my social life has expanded and my view of people has changed. I would talk to people but sometimes keep in touch and now I try to keep in touch will all of them. Seeing them out during the day or at night is always exciting because you feel like you belong. You aren’t an American who is a tourist. You are an American with connections in the Irish world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment