Thursday, March 31, 2016

While being in Ireland, I haven’t had a whole lot of language troubles, or barriers, if you will. Most of the time, the barrier for me, is the thick, heavy accent that comes with 98% of Irish. Occasionally, you will meet an Irish person that doesn’t have a thick accent. I suggest talking and getting to know them until you feel comfortable talking with other Irish that have a thicker accent. Up until recently, I felt as if I was the only one who wasn’t quite understanding what everyone was saying because of the accent. I wasn’t, and you probably won’t be either. But, even if you are-take your time, at your own pace to fully understand the language. It makes the trip a little easier.
Even though the English Language is spoken more often than not, Irish is still the first language. Usually if you hear anyone talking in Irish, it’s to themselves, or someone doing some sort of customer service for one another. But not very often to you find someone who speaks strictly Irish.
In Ireland it’s kind of crazy because their first language, Irish, is almost like a second language. the signs you see every day have both English and Irish on them. If they don’t they are usually in English. Occasionally you will see a sigh that is strictly Irish, This is because the Irish are trying get more and more people to bring back the Irish language.
If you would like to travel outside of Ireland, I would suggest you brush up on a little of the language of the place you are going. Just a few small things, for example, bathroom, free, water, food, directions, or what is this? One of my personal favorites is “Do you speak English?” This is a question I found myself asking more than once. These questions helped me tremendously. Even in and out of Ireland.

Just remember, if you need them to slow down and repeat themselves, just ask. The Irish are really truly the best people to learn their language from as well as comprehend their language because they are so wonderfully understanding and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment