Thursday, February 4, 2016

Week 1


            At 8am, my palms were sweating, my mind was racing, and I kept walking all over the house into rooms I don't need to be in. It's safe to say I was nervous. Shortly after all of my pacing my family and I were off on our way to Omaha to get on a plane to start an adventure I'd never forget. 
            On the way to Omaha my palms didn't stop sweating and my mind definitely didn't stop racing. I kept telling myself that once I got into the airport and checked through security, my palms wouldn't be so sweaty. That wasn't the case. As my family and I say our goodbyes, I look up at my mom and the tears start flowing instantly. As we finish up our goodbyes, the crew and I head towards security. Each of us asking simple questions "Is this what I'm supposed to be doing?", "Does this go here?", "How was your break?” all trying to cope with our nerves and excitement. 
             Boarding the first flight was easier than the second. Boarding the second flight was when it all seemed too real. This is it, no turning back, no going home. I was headed overseas for three months, with people I hardly knew, in a place I had never been before. During our night on the plane, I hadn't gotten hardly any sleep because of the irrational fear I have of the plane crashing over the ocean, and the turbulence. When the flight attendants went around for the last time for drinks is when I looked to my friend and said "I'm ready for this, I'm ready to land and I'm beyond excited to start this journey." Up until then it was all nerves and a running mind. 
              After landing we took the longest hour bus ride in my life to our hotel. The hotel owners fed us and then the rest of the afternoon was ours. Seeing the ocean was so breathtaking. It isn't your stereotypical ocean scene because it is cloudy, rainy, and the shore line is rocky, not sandy. Monday rolls around and we start classes. The first class we learning how to speak Irish. Yes, it's Irish not Gaelic. The Irish people prefer Irish not Gaelic. We walked into Spiddal, a 2 mile walk in 130km per hour. That's about 80 miles per hour!! Spiddal is the cutest little town I have ever been too, and I have been to quite a bit of small towns. Our next big adventure was to the city of Galway. Galway had so many commemorating buildings, it was unbelievable.

               This week has gone on and on, the days feel like they have twice as many hours in them as well as twice as much fun. I can't wait to see how the upcoming weeks feel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment