Wednesday, February 10, 2016

"I'm fairly local, I've been around."

                Being able to go into a bar, or a pub as they call it here in Ireland, was something I knew I’d have to wait for in America. That is one of the perks of being overseas, thousands of miles away from home, being able to go into a pub. In my head I was thinking, “Does the security need to see my ID?”, “Can they tell I’m foreign?”, “Maybe I should talk to them so they know I’m of age and new to the country”. As I walked into the first pub, I watched the security guards look me up and down, but not give me a second glance. Wow, let me tell you, that was a weird experience.
                After taking the first few steps into the pub, I could not hardly move. I have never been to a place, besides a concert, that was as packed as this pub was. “Excuse me”, “Pardon me”, “Cheers”. Over and over again, trying to make my way into the pub. A few steps in I decided that this wasn’t how I wanted to experience my first pub. On to the next one we went. The next pub we went into was not near as packed as the other. I order my first drink and shortly after the band starts to play. Not long after the band starts to play I feel a pull on my arm. The next thing I know, I’m dancing in the middle of the pub with some locals to two guitars, a cello, and a saxophone. Most of the music were songs I didn’t recognize, but some of them I recognized, for example, Johnny Cash. We danced long enough for my calves to start to cramp. I told them goodbye and off to the next pub we went too.
                The next pub was quite crazy. Beyond packed, with music playing in the background. We make our way to the stage floor to watch the band. Soon enough, all of us are dancing with the locals once again. It’s almost like they couldn’t tell we were Americans, they were so welcoming, it was almost like we were born and raised there.
                This wasn’t the only time I found the locals to be beyond welcoming. On Shrove Tuesday, or better known as Pancake Tuesday. A group of us walked to Spiddal and stopped into a pub, hoping for pancakes. As we looked at their specials… THEY ARE SERVING PANCAKES! The excitement the group experienced after finding that out was so crazy. We still continued to look at the menu and decided to get an appetizer. Instead of telling us they didn’t have the crisps, the Irish word for chips, they told us they would go get some more for us. Talk about customer service!! Once again, the people are absolutely so wonderful.

                I have yet to find a rude person over here. I am completely shocked and beyond ecstatic to find this out. Whenever I need help, they are ALWAYS there to help while being as friendly as ever. It’s safe to say, I found it easy to get along while enjoying all of the locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment